Sunday, January 4, 2015

Becoming Vegetarian

   About thirteen years ago, when I was in middle school, I decided of my own volition to become a vegetarian. I believe this decision rather surprised my parents as no one in my family is, or was, vegetarian. Looking back, I cannot tell you for sure how I even knew what the decision would entail but I was sure it was what I wanted to do. It had little to do with how animals are treated, nothing (at the time) to do with health concerns, and a lot to do with my ability to overthink situations. I began to really think about what I was eating and the idea of meat began to disgust me. I simply didn't like it anymore. 
   
   Becoming vegetarian is difficult for a lot of people, but I wasn't one of them. It is one of the easier decisions I've made and once I made my choice, I never looked back. 

   


   Nowadays, I'm still the only vegetarian in my family. For awhile I was the only vegetarian in my immediate group of friends but that is recently starting to change. This means that I have to be creative to work around a meat-centric world. It's not particularly difficult and it's something I got used to rather quickly. It allows me the chance to adapt and create vegetarian recipes which I enjoy as I love to cook. Many recipes that I've found or created will follow in coming posts. However, just because I eat a vegetarian diet, doesn't mean it's really the healthier diet as I still love to eat sweets, salt, and especially soda (my biggest vice). As I am working at getting into shape and living healthier, recipes will run the full range from cookies and baked goods, to healthier meals and snacks. 





No comments:

Post a Comment